Well, the flowers aren’t exactly framed, neither do they exactly form the frame..but I felt the name kinda suited what I had made….so there! 😛
I started with a sheet from an old book and tore off the edges. I then painted a thin layer of gesso on the journal paper and adding the page in the center, added some more gesso to the sides. I then heat dried this (mostly since I didn’t have the patience to air dry it!)
I then started drawing the flowers and leaves from one corner. I then inked out the outlines using my Uniball Signo black gel pen. I also added little birds at the bottom, forming an imaginary frame. Well, if you ask me, this is the best pen to use on gesso – it doesn’t dry quickly – and so when I started painting, the ink spread a bit. Thankfully it isn’t so visible in the end! 🙂
Well, after this, I started painting with my watercolors. I wanted to color the flowers in shades of violet and red; I also added some pink and orange. I painted the birds below in the same colors, alternating the colors between the birds. After painting in the leaves, I also painted in the background in shades of green (inside) and blue (outside) towards the left and yellow (inside) and brown (outside), keeping the torn edges of the page as a frame outline. I also added some bright paint right outside the flowers, keeping it a little lighter and quickly blending it with the rest of the background – this added kind of a highlight to the flowers. 🙂
I then inked back the outlines, which had become almost invisible because of the paint. I also added a proper framed area beside the flowers and the birds by drawing a curvy branch-and-leaf combination. This I didn’t color in, and left it be.
I find myself having an urge to add some kind of a ‘wittwe birdie’ to whatever I make now-a-days! They look sooo cute!! 😀
And that’s my art for today! Hope you enjoyed! 🙂