So, I came across this pin in Pinterest, and it caught my interest – I thought I might try watercoloring with distress inks stamping with this as inspiration. I actually came up with 3 cards!
I’ve used a few things as common – for the card base, I’ve used color paper on the card base, watercolor paper for making my inspired piece, the stamp set – Joyful Flutters by Micia, the distress inks – Fired Brick, Barn Door, Picked Raspberry, Worn Lipstick, Pumice Stone, Black Soot.
For the first card, to make the watercolored piece, I first applied a coat of water all over the watercolor paper, and directly stamped my distress inks on top. I misted with paper again with water whenever it got a little dry. This method provided distinct stamped image, and the water flowing around spreads the colors a bit. Hmm..not the right way to replicate my inspiration, but good enough! ;D
So, after I was done with the piece and everything was dry, I distressed the sides and also the front using Prima’s Comfort Craft Distressing Tool. This gave the paper a beautiful striped texture! Love it! I then directly adhered this on the card base, glued in a pink and a black feather.
For the sentiment, I first adhered some dark grey color paper on a strip of cardstock, trimmed it and cut out fishtails on both ends, finally stamped the sentiment, which BoBunny Captured stamp set in Hero Arts white pigment ink – I adhered this piece also directly on the card. I then added a few sequins with added pink rhinestones on top and some pearls as embellishment.
For the second card, I changed the method of watercoloring. I misted the stamp with the distress ink before I stamped on the watercolor paper – I add no water on the paper itself. This achieved the effect I desired. 🙂 The images look like they are watercolored and they are not exactly perfectly stamped due to the texture of the paper, which I liked.
I cut this piece into two, and like with the first card, I distressed the sides before using them.
Now coming to the second card, I drew some (not so perfect) stripes on a spare cardstock using Pink Copic marker and cut a side to in a diagonal. I then cut another strip of cardstock and adhered black flowered washi tape on it. I then adhered these two on the pink (color paper adhered) card base. I then foam mounted the watercolor piece on top.
I cut out the ‘Hello’ from black cardstock using Lawn Fawn Cole’s ABCs and adhered it directly on the card base. The trick to lying them out straight, which I learnt from Jennifer McGuire, is to first align them and adhere a portion of the front of the dies to masking tape (or some temporary tape) – then we can easily add the adhesive and place them wherever we want on the card! Easy-peasy!
Well, then I proceeded to add the clear-rhinestone topped sequins randomly on the card.
Now coming to the card – I cut up a couple of pieces of a doily, and on the bigger one, I added some silver acrylic paint here, inked it up using Hero Arts Cantaloupe Shadow ink, Worn Lipstick and Festive Berries and sprayed water on it to let the inks spread and mix and finally sucked up the extra on some scrap paper. I then adhered these on the card base and trimmed the excess.
I then used Spellbinders A2 Curved Matting Basics to cut out a frame and stamped it using MFT Pinstripes & Memento Rose Bud ink. After adding a black eyelet to the watercolor piece, I stapled the frame on top at an angle. I also added a butterfly to the side, which I cut from Tattered Lace Butterflies dies, after sponging in some Spun Sugar distress inks to the sides.
I finally added the sentiment which came from the Joyful Flutters stamp set from Micia using Hero Arts white pigment ink. I finished this with some pearls on the card base and one on the butterfly.
Whew!! That finished my looong array of cards, and even longer explanation!! Thanks for sticking up till now! 🙂