Wonderful news! So excited to be a Guest Designer over at the Stamplorations April Theme and Sketch Challenge!! I had participated in the Stamplorations February Challenge – and, after being declared the winner, I got called for a Guest Designer feature for this month.
The theme for the month of April is Stamp & Splatters and here’s the sketch –
You have the option of choosing the theme or the technique or both! I would say, choose anything, but, since you have the option of playing month long, go ahead and play! Having fun is the most important part, after all! 🙂
For my part, I decided to play with both the theme and the sketch. Shery was kind enough to send me digital images to use on my card. But what I’ve used here is another Stamploration digi that I won in another challenge. Its a gorgeous image of a rose – don’t you just love it – and I was too excited to use it and couldn’t wait till I got the print outs of the new images ! 😛
Unfortunately for me, I was not able to find a place where I could get the image printed on card stock, or even thin water color paper – just one of the irritating things about living in India 😦 I had to get them printed on normal paper and get innovative on using them. Again, using normal paper meant that I could not use too much water – watercoloring and adding splatters was my first idea, but I had to improvise. What I did was to change it slightly. I used the same product that I used for my winning entry – Camel drawing inks! Since these inks are absolutely loaded with color, I didn’t have to dilute them. And thankfully, even after a lot of splattering, the paper didn’t warp that much. So, I was saved! 😀
Coming to the actual steps – I first made some temporary masks for the flower and the leaves using scrap paper. Its not like I wanted the color to not fall on unwanted places (like red on leaves) more like I wanted to limit it only for highlighting – like where the flower stopped and the leaves started (if you don’t get this line, its ok – it doesn’t matter :P) I used an old toothbrush to spray the colors, methodically drying the paper by heating it (this was leading to color loss, so didn’t do it for the final layers) or air-drying it between layering colors to make it rich in color.
Once everything was dry, I smoothed out the paper by sending it through my Big Shot a few times. I then added tape behind the piece and adhered it on a card panel for more firmness. I then adhered this panel at an angle over a black cardbase. I then added the sentiment, from Paper Trey Ink Wet Paint stamp and die. I used the die to die cut from black foam and some green cardstock, which I adhered using Ranger Multi Medium Matte. The sentiment, I heat embossed in white on another piece of black card stock, trimmed it, cut out fish tails and adhered it on the card panel.
And that’s my card – this would have been so much easier if I could find a way to get a print on watercolor paper!! Well, things worked out anyway! 🙂
Please pop over to the Stamplorations blog for more amazing inspiration – I’ll bet the design team will knock your socked off! 🙂
Thanks for stopping by! 🙂