Hello and welcome! If you’ve known me, you know that I absolutely love watercoloring. I mostly love coloring florals, but I’m also working on improving my critter coloring…and then some. But, until now, it was mostly stamp and color. Lately, I’ve been interested in some free hand watercoloring, and was pretty happy with my very first attempt at it, when I watercolored some eucalyptus leaves. Since then, I continued my experiments, mostly learning by watching YouTube videos by Shada Campbell, and this time I’ve tried my hand at free hand watercoloring florals – a simple wreath for now:
I used Gansai Tambi watercolors, along with watercolor paper from Hndmd/CrafTangles. I just drew a simple circle, watercolored. For watercoloring, I used primarily a shade of purple, and along with it, I mixed a couple more colors, mixing brown for the leaves and wine red for the roses. This keeps the monochrome look, while bringing in plenty of shades. Finally, I let everything dry and then trimmed the paper. I also added a few splatters.
To bring the card together, I stamped the sentiment from WPlus9 Fresh Cut Florals using VersaFine Onyx Black ink. I foam mounted the watercolroed panel onto black card stock, tucking a strip of dotted washi tape in similar colors on the bottom of one side.
I am so very happy with my trials! I’ll keep working on more of these free hand watercolors from now on..
Hello! In my last post, I mentioned a new base for using Alcohol Inks. Well, frankly speaking, it isn’t exactly a replacement to Yupo paper, but it can definitely be used for simple background using alcohol inks.
It is a translucent plastic sheet that could be used for book wrappers. Since it is non-porous, it can be well used. It is also not glossy (I have another one, which is totally transparent and glossy, but I haven’t used it here) Some beautiful effects can still be created, if not all that can be made using Yupo. Here are some examples (sorry about the grainy images, the weather isn’t so great!)
I use adhesive spray to stick the plastic to a normal cardbase. For some instances, I adhered the sheet before applying the alcohol inks; for others, I first applied the ink on the sheet, then adhered it on paper. Doesn’t made much of a difference either way.
Here are some that I haven’t yet adhered to cardstock –
For these, I also used a stencil to pick up some of the already laid ink – one is adhered on to cardstock, and I had used a bit too much of ink – so much that the blue looks like black! The other is still not adhered –
I think these kind of sheets must be available at normal stationary shops. I am planning to use it when I don’t need a spectacular background with alcohol inks, and only need it to generate effects – like I had on my last post. I’ll choose the Yupo only when I need some more effects..and I think such times will be fewer in comparison! 🙂
Hope this gets you to try some other media yourself! Thank you so much for stopping by! 🙂