Hello and welcome to a new challenge at Seize the Birthday! This time, we have Nancy choosing the topping, and she gave us ‘Stencils’ to work on!
And here’s what I made –
I love stencils and have a ton of them in my stash, but somehow, never end up using them. So this was a great chance for me to get to use them. I wanted to make the stencil have a big impact on the card, so tried out various techniques and media on them. Finally I chose two, out of which I made these cards.
I have used the same stencil – Tie and Dye from CrafTreat – on both of these cards.
Card one: I started with a panel of photo paper. I wanted the colors to stay as soon as they would be applied, so this was the best option. I used the stencil with brusho pigment powders, applying the powder, then lying the stencil on top and misting with water to activate the colors. Working things the other way round – placing the stencil, then sprinkling the powder then misting didn’t work as the stencil had smaller negative spaces. Applying the water first and then the powders didn’t work either, since the panel didn’t stay wet enough for long enough for me to apply the powders. My plan was to actually have colors only where the stencil had openings, but that didn’t work. And it ended with this ‘burst’ look.
Anyway, once everything was dry, I removed as much extra powder as possible using a towel, and then trimmed the panel and adhered it on a white card base. The sentiment, which I stacked, is from My Favorite Things, called Birthday Wishes. I also added a few iridescent sequins for embellishing.
Card two: I used alcohol inks with ink lifting… kind of. 😛
I used yupo paper as the base and applied a rainbow of alcohol inks in a sunburst. Once that dried, I placed the stencil on top, then used a felt applicator with a few drops of alcohol ink blender to apply darker shades of alcohol inks on top, basically, the opposite of ink lift. Why? Because, like my earlier plan, the ink lift didn’t look good, didn’t work well.
So anyway, I moved the stencil a few more times and redid the technique, to cover the whole panel more or less equally with patterns.
Once done, I adhered this over another card panel, since this yupo paper wasn’t thick enough. I then foam mounted it on a white card base and trimmed the excess. The sentiment is from Altenew Inline Alpha dies. I die cut them thrice and stacked them before adhering them to the card. I also used a couple of sequins for embellishing.
With this card, I am joining the following challenges –
Just Add Ink challenge 488: Celebrate. And they’ve turned 10 too!! Congratulations!!
Thank you for stopping by!